Wednesday, July 16, 2014



“One day I will find the right words, 

and they will be simple.” 
- Jack Kerouac


I began writing in my first journal when I was in the 3rd grade. 

 I wrote about a boy in my class borrowing my crayon. 
And that was all I wrote. 

Simple and to the point.  

Of course as I got older my entries developed in much more content and emotion.  
By the time I was in high school I was writing in my journal daily. 
Page after page of adolescent troubles. 
Boys, parents, boys, friends, boys.
Dissecting my emotions about it all. Trying to figure out why I felt the way I did. 
Trying to understand the point in all of it. 
Trying to understand myself.  

Back then the writing was easy. My pen would hit the paper and I would purge it all. 
Anger, love, confusion. 
Anything and everything came out of me and I never thought twice about it. 
I just let it flow. 
I just let it go. 

And it was easy. 
It was easy because nobody saw it. 

I didn't have to explain myself to anyone. 
I didn't have to feel any feelings of shame or embarrassment. 
I didn't compare my journal entries to other journal entries. 
I didn't look for how many "likes" I had. 

I just wrote. 

With no fear of who would or wouldn't comment. 
No fear of looking crazy, unorganized, or irrelevant. 

I just wrote. 

Something has happened to me since then. 
I don't write in a journal anymore.  
The most writing I do now is an occasional post on Facebook.  
Most of the things I have to say, I say to my husband 
or to my friends in the form of conversation.  

I have chained myself up. 
I have protected myself and my thoughts from cruelty and judgement. 
I have resorted to keeping everything safe, 
thoughts and ideas locked up in my own head 
so I don't have to own them or explain any of it to anyone. 

 But I miss having no fear. 
I miss the girl in 3rd grade who kept things simple and to the point. 
I miss the girl in high school who, without thinking, would just write. 
I miss the girl who always knew she had something to say. 

So here I am. 
Writing my first post in my new blog. 
Putting it all out there for the world to see. 

And I am scared shitless. 
But I am doing it anyway.  
  
No more talking about it. 
No more judging myself for it. 
No more chains. 
No more walking the tightrope.
I am here to let it all go. 
I am here to let it all flow. 

I am here and I am ready to tell my story.
I am ready to share my ideas. 
 I am ready to expose myself like the pinup on the swing. 
 Exposing all that I am and all I desire to be. 
Ready to rise above. 
Ready to elevate.  

And to get it all started 
all I had to do was write. 

Simple. 














































2 comments:

  1. This is SO. GOOD. and inspiring. Love love love that you are writing here and can't wait to read more!!!
    xoxo, Alison

    ReplyDelete