Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. 
-Carl Sandburg 



On Sunday, July 20th myself and three other girls 
hosted a bridal shower for our friend, Shannon. 
In a private room at Meritage in East Greenwich,  
24 people gathered to shower the bride-to-be with gifts, wishes, tons of love…. 

and one poem.  

I have known my friend Shannon for about 6 years now. 
From the very first day we met, we have done almost nothing but laugh. 
Through all the stresses of our jobs, all the demands of rude customers, 
we could shift it all by making each other laugh.   
We could turn any bad situation 
into a really good time. 

And I have been known to turn many a good time, into a lengthy, ridiculous poem. 

A poem for Assistant's Day. 
A poem for every birthday. 
A poem for her engagement party. 

And for her bridal shower? 
You bet your ass she got a poem.   

I tried to keep it short, but I couldn't. 
I tried to spare too many details, but I couldn't. 
I tried to not cry when writing it (or reading it), 
but I did. 

For months prior to the shower, 
I had planned out some decorations, centerpieces, favors, etc. 
I knew there would be terrariums and succulents and a wishing tree and a few feathers. 
I gathered round fishbowls from thrift stores, tiny buckets, 
peat moss and deer moss and succulents a plenty. 
What started out as 8 succulent plants transformed into 24 bridal shower favors. 

I made a wishing tree with manzanita branches sitting in a large fishbowl filled with rocks and moss and feathers.

Using feather stamped tags, guests could write their advice or wishes for the bride to be. 

Everything all set up in front of the candlelit wall. 


I love creating displays.  This kind of work always lights me up. The amazing works of art of Anthropologie  displays in all their windows, inspires me to no end. 
I love using what I already have and turning it into something new and beautiful.
I love the amazing feeling I get
when I have thrifted something I otherwise, couldn't have afforded. 


But as much as all this lights me up,
nothing lights me up more than writing.

(Nothing lights me up more than rhyming).

And then to share it out loud, to your friend as a gift, 
lights us both up…. 


...As you already know Shannon, I have begun to grow flowers for you, 
And while I certainly have no field, I do have the space… 
There are dahlias and zinnias and coleus and lamb's ear
All waiting to go into their vase. 

But what if they don't look good, what if they're the wrong color… 
What if a hurricane comes and wipes it all away? 
With Mother Nature you never know, 
so another plan must be in tow, 
And that's why I am up here today…. 

From calla lilies to fiddleheads,  from head crowns to corsages 
All your vases, feathers and anything in between 
Whatever your vision, as grand as it may be… 
Rest assured will all be paid for, by me. 

So check that off your list, and put that money into something else 
It's the least I can do for you on this day
Your vision is mine (no matter how many times you change it) 
I will help you create your dream, of a gorgeous wedding day…. 


She loved it, she loved all of it. 
From the poem to the games, to laughing with her family and friends,
I would say this day was pretty amazing.  

A smile never left my friends' face all day.

And speaking of things that light me up,
you can put that one at the top of the list.




She is small but she is fierce, and she can handle any stress 
Unlike me who gets tied up in knots most of the time
She unties me and unravels me and helps me find my sorts
I might be the poet, but she is my rhyme. 

   



   





2 comments:

  1. Your arrangements are SO gorgeous! A wishing tree...what a beautiful idea. You have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa! Great post and beautiful poem. Now I want to make arrangements of succulents...

    ReplyDelete