Saturday, January 10, 2015

          “If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.” 
― Dr. Seuss 


I have fun a lot. 
Like right now. I'm having fun writing this post. 
In my living room, a room full of guys watching the football game. 
I am having fun. 
Even when I am at work , I am having fun…. 
(Even though I can barely stand the place) 
But I choose fun. 
I make jokes and make other people laugh. I have to. 
It's my defense mechanism. 
I need to laugh, to survive. 
I embarrass myself for it. I make fun of myself for it. 
I make room for others to do the same, if they wish.  
Fun used to look different for me too. As it does for all of us as we get older. 
It used to involve partying, drinking and smoking, 
(it still does sometimes... but not nearly as often as it did. ;) )  
Now, sometimes, it looks like me in a papasan in my sunroom, 
or me digging in the dirt, or collaging in my living room. 
Sometimes it is laying on the couch with my husband, laughing and tickles 
and so much love. 
Sometimes it looks like a vacation. 
Sometimes it looks like last year. Sometimes it looks like next year. 
Most times it looks like him. 
But it always looks like me. 
 If there is no fun, I'm not there. 
And I love this part of me. 
I love that others love this part of me. 
I truly believe it is why I am so blessed. 
It puts me out there. It keeps me open. It keeps me smiling. 
It keeps others smiling. 
But I know how easy it is to not have fun in our lives. 
I know how easy it is for me to have no fun. 
We get caught up in how serious everything is. 
Our bills, kids, our jobs, our deadlines. 
The day to day bull shit gets us down. It gets us stuck. It gets us angry. 
I too have these days, these weeks, often  
and most days when my alarm clock goes off the first words that come from my lips are "What the fuck". 
But still I get up, get dressed and as soon as I am out in public I say Good Morning to every single person I encounter. 
Because I choose to not carry "What the fuck" around with me. 
I choose to shift it. 
I am pissed when I wake up for work. I am pissed knowing I have to be in a building for the next 9 hours. 
I am pissed that I can't just sleep.  I am pissed that I don't work for myself (yet). 
I am pissed that I have to leave my favorite place. 
And I allow it all to piss me off. Then I get over it. 
I get my achy ass out of bed and I begin again. 

Every single, same old shit, day. I get pissed and begin again. 

I remember how great I felt yesterday when I laughed, when I smiled,  
and I start to get excited to do it all again.
Most of the time this works, and some days it just doesn't, 
no matter how hard I try, I can't stop saying "What the fuck". 
But I try. I try wicked fucking hard. 
I try wicked hard to have fun.
I try wicked hard to make sure others around me are having fun.  
Because that's all there is. 
Our greatest moments involve fun. 
Our best memories are filled with smiles.  
Fun fills us. It fills us to the brim. 
It takes us out of funks. It shifts us out of anger. It allows us to see a better day. 

What does fun look like to you? 
Evaluate it, think about it, then go get it. 
Turn up the stereo and listen to your favorite songs. 
Go find your fun. In the middle of the day, find it. In the middle of chaos, shift it. 
Smile at your anger. Smile at your life. 
And if you are like me you will forget everyday. 
You will forget and need to remember, everyday. 
And that's okay too. 
But try. And I will too. 
And if you still aren't having fun, sleep on it. 
Because now it's in your head. Now it's brewing. 
Then wake up and say out loud "What the fuck". 
And just that in itself, could turn out, 
to be a lot of fun ;) 

Me and my Kelly. Having too much fun. xo




No comments:

Post a Comment